When we’re adequately covered in the event of an accident or illness, it’s easy to forget that it’s important to take the same precautions when travelling abroad. Accidents can happen quickly and medical bills in a Canadian hospital can become quite costly if adequate travel insurance has not been purchased. Here are three reasons it is essential for visitors to Canada to get travel insurance.
- Medical care in Canada is not free for visitors. Unlike Canadian citizens and residents, you will not have access to the public health insurance plan that covers basic medical expenses in the event of an accident or illness. This means that you will be required to pay for all medical expenses out of pocket in an emergency.
- If you are a newly arrived immigrant to Canada, you may not be immediately eligible for provincial health insurance. In some provinces, there may be a waiting period after registration. All medical expenses incurred will be your responsibility and will not be reimbursed during this period.
- Visitors to Canada insurance covers emergency medical expenses in case of illness or accident. This includes physician fees, hospitalization costs, prescribed medication, and certain professional services recommended by a physician.
Ontario Blue Cross travel insurance offers coverage options based on the length of your stay, your age, and your needs. You can choose from a variety of coverage amounts for yourself and your loved ones.
If you are part of the following categories, we recommend that you take out Visitors to Canada insurance to avoid any inconvenience related to a medical bill:
- Foreign workers and students
- Canadians returning to the country and immigrants waiting to be eligible for their provincial health insurance plan
- Super visa applicants
With over 80 years of experience in individual insurance, Ontario Blue Cross is an expert in the industry. Let us guide you and meet your needs so you can make the most of your time in Canada.